How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Quickly33,337 views
Here are two techniques that we have used successfully in the past to get them out of your kitchen. The first technique will get rid of most of them quickly while the second technique will get rid of them slowly over time. You should be able to keep them away using both techniques.
If you have many fruit flies then this technique would help you trap the ones flying around your kitchen. The ones you donít catch in this step will be trapped using the second technique.
1. Grab a disposable plastic or Styrofoam plate and cover it with a layer of Pam cooking oil spray or similar.
2. Whenever you see a fruit fly, swat them with the plate to trap them in the oil.
When I did this step last year, I caught twenty-five fruit flies in about twenty minutes.
While this technique works to get rid of lots of them quickly, you’re still going to miss a few. Thatís where technique number two comes in. Whatever you donít catch with the plate youíll get with the trap youíve setup.
This technique involves setting up a trap for these annoying little buggers.
1. Grab a Mason Jar (Glass jar with a metal lid)
2. Fill the jar halfway with a vinegar and sugar mixture. It really doesnít matter how much you put in. What I do is fill it up half way with vinegar and then pour in a few spoonfuls of sugar. Then I shake up the contents so it is all mixed. This sweet/sour mixture is perfect for attracting fruit flies.
3. Add a drop or two of liquid soap to the mixture. This will kill them.
4. Puncture about four small holes into the lid of the jar. The holes should be just large enough for them to get into the jar easily but not get out.
5. Leave the jar in the corner of your kitchen counter.
After several days, youíll notice more and more fruit flies floating in the jar (yummy!).
Popularity: 4% [?]