Nine Bathroom Etiquette Tips to Impress Your Wife or Girlfriend54,742 views
When it comes to dating and impressing our sweethearts, men on average do pretty well. Of course, I am not talking about the lousy first dates, blind dates, or mismatches that make one wonder how a woman was set up with such a jerk in the first place. I am talking about the couples that are already beyond the first several dates. The guy will try to look good, be polite, do something awesome, and so on.
Unfortunately, when men become husbands they tend to carry over their appalling bathroom habits to their married life. Men overlook this aspect of married life. It often doesnít hit a married couple until they start their new life together. Assuming of course that they havenít been living together for months or years before they got married. It is often the role of the wife to slowly teach the new husband what are and are not acceptable bathroom habits. In many cases a wife will just accept the fact that she cant change her husband and give up hope of expecting him to have better bathroom etiquette.
Here is a list of nine bathroom tips that I have learned and used over the years that should be incorporated by every husband or husband to be.
- Lower the seat!! When you are done using the bathroom make it a habit to lower the toilet seat. Not only is this important for women when they have to use the bathroom but a raised seat looks terrible when people come over and glance inside or use your guest bathroom. Another important sub tip is to wipe off the top of the toilet rim after you are done peeing before lowering the seat. The droplets turn a nasty color and give off a bad odor after a couple of days.
- Replace the empty roll of toilet paper. Donít just grab a new roll, use it and place on top of the used roll or on the back of the toilet. Take off the used roll and replace it with a new one. This may seem like its not a big deal but believe me I have heard this as the number one complaint about men when it comes to bathroom etiquette. A simple thing like replacing and old roll of toilet paper goes a long way.
- Clean out the shower or bath when you are done using it. This is probably the most grueling of all the tips but it must be done especially if you have a white tiled shower or bath.
- Rinse down the walls and door or curtain of your shower or bath from all your gross body hairs and soap grime after youíve dried yourself and stepped out of the shower.
- Wash off your bar of soap to make sure there are no disgusting hairs clinging to it regardless if your wife uses that bar of soap. She shouldnít have to look at it when she steps into the shower or bath.
- After your done rinsing down the walls and curtain/door, grab a tissue and pick up that clump of wet disgusting hair, that has now collected at the top of the drain, and pitch it in the garbage or toilet.
- Stock rolls of toilet paper under the sink. Sometimes your wife may even use up the roll herself and sheíll need another. Having spare rolls under the sink is a lifesaver. As I said before, the simple things make an impression.
- Place a stack of clean bath towels under the sink. It happens often enough that as we are about to get into the shower we realize that we donít have a towel. We forgot that we dumped the towel from our previous shower in the laundry bin and now we are stuck without one. This isnít as bad as being left without a roll of toilet paper but it is certainly a nuisance to have to throw on a bathrobe or dirty clothes just to get a bath towel. When leaving a stack under the sink make sure there are enough for at least two shower cycles. As many women use a separate towel for their hair and body youíll want to make sure there are at least four towels there. Also, you might want to let her know that the towels are there. Leave a note or just let her know.
- Rinse off the sink and countertop after shaving. This should be a no brainer. After you shave, donít just rinse off or shake out your shaver. Make sure you wipe down the sink. No one wants to see hair from your shaver lining the sink. Use hot water to wash off the sink properly. Also, make sure the countertop is clean as well. This is especially important if you have a beard and you trim it from time to time. If you look around youíll see hair clippings all over the countertop. Grab a tissue and wipe it down or better yet, buy a paintbrush for that purpose and brush the hair off the counter and into the sink.
- Refill the soap dispenser if you have one. Donít be lazy! As the soap in the dispenser slowly depletes refill it. Itís the same thing as swapping a used roll of toilet paper for a new one. Another sub-tip, once youíve refilled the soap dispenser wash off all the soap grime thatís been building up over the last several weeks or months. It will make the soap dispenser look shiny and new.
- Swap the dirty hand towels with some clean ones every week. If this is something your wife usually does then itís a perfect thing to do to impress her. If she comes to replace the hand towels every Friday in the evening then get to it before she does. As she is about to make the swap sheíll notice that its already been done.
- Wash the bath rug. Over time, the bath rug will start to get very dirty. People often overlook cleaning the bath rug because, well, itís just a bath rug. But if you have a dirty bath rug and you decide to wash it either by hand (because you havenít used a washing machine since college and forgot how to use it) or by using a washer on the simplest setting, sheíll be impressed. You could score three points with this tip alone:
- When she asks you where the bath rug is after noticing its not in the bathroom, sheíll be quite impressed when you tell her that youíre washing it.
- If youíve never used the washer before then sheíll be impressed that you are using it. (A word of caution: donít give her the impression that you are now a pro at using the washer. From my experiences, this will only lead to her asking or expecting you to get involved in doing the laundry in the near future.)
- Sheíll be impressed when she walks into the bathroom and sees the rug on the floor all clean and dry.
I find this tip to be so important that it should even be taught to boys as soon as they learn to use the potty. In fact we created a bathroom chart to get our three yr. old son to do just that and more after using the restroom.
It is often overlooked especially by single guys who are in the process of dating. When women ask to use your bathroom in your one bedroom apartment they might very well look at your shower to see what you are really like. A gross shower is a major turn off and could lead to marital frustrations down the road, whereas, a clean shower could do a lot in showing that you care.
Extra tips: Depending on what else you have in your bathroom, other tips might be included. For example, we have an electric toothbrush we both use. It is a Braun model that comes with multiple colored coded heads allowing more than one person to use it. After I finish brushing my teeth in the morning, I rinse off my head, and put back in the container. I then take the electric toothbrush handle, rinse it as well, and dry it well before placing it back on the charger. Now when my wife comes to use the toothbrush, it will be clean, dry, and ready for her to attach her brush head.
One final and important note: It takes one boastful comment to ruin everything. Whatever you do be humble about it. Donít say, ďHey Honey, did you notice I changed the toilet paper roll? Huh? What do you think? Arenít I a great guy?Ē If she didnít comment then she didnít comment. Sooner or later she’ll notice your efforts and be impressed.
This post was submitted to the June 25th Issue of the Carnival of Family Life hosted over at Everyday Disasters
Shameless Plea: If you liked the article then please consider submitting or saving it to your favorite social bookmarking site. Any help in giving this site a boost would be appreciated.
Popularity: 6% [?]